PKU archaeology history in pictures

MAY . 17 2012

Peking University, May 4, 2012: 2012 marks 90 years of archaeological research and 60 years of archaeological  education at Peking University (PKU). The laboratory of archaeology was established at PKU in 1922, which was the first research institution for archaeology in China. As a major in a university, archaeology was set up in the Department of History at PKU in 1952, which was the first educational institution for archaeology in China. We can see PKU archaeology history from the below pictures.


Group photo of Traditional Chinese Culture at PKU in September, 1924.
Dong Zuobin, Huang Wenbi, GuJiegang, Ma Heng, Hu Shi and XuBingchang were among them.


 Group photo of the Sino-Swedish Scientific Expedition Mission to the Northwestern Provinces of China in 1927. All Chinese members in the team were from PKU.


 Students in the resource room of the Stone Age in the Department.


The major of archaeology was set up in 1952.



 Group photo of faculty and students of the 1st Training Class in 1952.

PKU and Institute of Archaeology, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences co-hosted Training Class for Archaeological Staff for four times from 1952 to 1955. 


Faculty and students in Handan, Hebei Province in 1957

Archaeology major has been carrying out the field archaeology internship since 1957. 

The internship team

Led by Mr. Su Bai, the archaeological internship team investigated Southern Xiangtang Grotto and discovered another one named Small Xiangtang Grotto.


 The excavation site in 1959

In 1959, Mr. Zou Heng led the students of the Class 1955 to excavate Luoyang Wang Wan ruins and for the first time established the stage difference between Yangshao and Longshan Culture of Henan Province.


 ChangpingXueshan excavation site in 1961

 In 1961, staff members and the students of the Class 1958 excavated Changping Xueshan ruins. It was the first time that Xueshan I Culture (in the late Neolithic Age), Xueshan II Culture (equivalent to Longshan Culture) and Xueshan III Culture (during the period of Xia and Shang) were discovered.



Group photo at Changping Xueshan Site.


 Group photo of all staff members and students in 1972

In 1972, staff members and the students of the Class 1972 excavated Beijing Liulihe ruins, which provided an important clue for searching for fief in Western Zhou.


Group photo of all staff members and students in 1976

In 1976, staff members and the students of the Class 1974 excavated Zhouyuan ruins and discovered large palace base of Qishan Phoenix and Fufeng Chen in Western Zhou. 

 Prof. Lv Zun’e in 1984

 In 1984, “Jinniushan Man” fossil was discovered at Jinniushan Paleolithic Period ruins in Yingkou , Liaoning Province, which was awarded as “one of the 5 most important archaeological discoveries” of the year and the first award of Arts by National Education Commission in 1985.



 The excavation site of Tianma-Qucun ruins in Shanxi Province.

 The staff members and students had been excavating systematically Tianma-Qucun ruins in Shanxi Province since 1979 in search of fief of Jin in Western Zhou, which provided the important proof to confirm the capital of Jin in the early ages.From 1992 to 2008, they excavated 9 groups / 19 tombs of Jin Hou and their wives. The excavation of Jin Hou tomb was twice awarded as “ten archaeological discoveries” nationwide.


 Zhejiang Cixi kiln

Ceramic archaeology is one of the most important fields in the School of Archaeology and Museology and they have excavated lots of famous ancient kilns across the nation.


Key discipline laboratory of Quatermary Geology and Archaeology in 1973

In 1973, the first age determination system of liquid scintillation counting of Carbon 14 was built up. Key discipline laboratory of Quatermary Geology and Archaeology was approved by the Ministry of Education at the same year. It currently is focusing on archaeological chronology.


 The signing ceremony for renaming in 1988. Chen Jia’er (left) Zhang Wenbin (right)

 In 1988, the major of museology was established. In 1992, Arthur M. Sackler Museum of Art and Archeology at PKU was inaugurated. In 1998, Institute of Archaeology and Museology (China Institute of Heritage and Museology) was co-founded by PKU and the State Administration of Cultural Heritage. In 2002, the Institute was renamed as the current name “School of Archaeology and Museology”.



Arthur M. Sackler Museum of Art and Archeology




Written by: Zhang Jiang
Edited by: Cao Yixing